Monday, August 25, 2008

Tropical Storm Fay

Fay has finally left the area. We are still getting rain and now it looks like Gustaf is forming to the south of us. We needed rain, just not all at once. Fay was a slow moving storm that seemed to take forever to get here, then seemed to take forever to leave. I didn't get great pictures of the storm, my camera seemed to resent being out in the wind and mist. The ocean was pretty churned up on Tues night, before it was due to hit Thursday morning.

Driving home from work on Thursday was a real treat. We closed the store a little after 2pm and the wind was really kicking up. They will close the bridges with sustained winds of 60mph and that was a fear, I would be stuck on the wrong side of the river, or between the river and the Intracoastal Waterway. I crossed the Buckman around 2:20-2:30 (it takes a while to cross when you're only going 30mph due to the wind and the rain) and they closed it around 3:30pm. I'm sure there were gusts at the top of the span that were 60mph or more when I crossed. The inlet before the Vilano Bridge was rough and full. Not a bad picture considering I just stuck my camera up to the window and snapped as I was driving.
The is was the ocean looked like as I was slowly driving down A1A to get home. (Rain on the windows doesn't help a picture)
AFter much wind and rain on Friday and Saturday, the sun appeared on Sunday. The is from the walkover from the Villages of Vilano to the beach.
These are the same houses that were in the news reports with the waves slamming into their pilings. They survived the storm.
The pond at the farm looked like this just a month ago. It had been completely dry last year at this time.
And this was the pond on Sunday, before the next batch of rain hit.
You could see the thunder clouds moving in late Sunday afternoon.
But do you think the little boys cared?
Nope, not one bit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the storm picture's!! Get the camera ready for the next one! I think you should have Oscar holding the umbrella for you while ya'll stand on the beach!
*wink*